So, you are going to see a Homeopath. You’ve booked an appointment with a qualified and registered practitioner and are feeling anxious about it – that’s okay!
Here are the five most important things you need to know to get the most out of your first consultation and experience the healing effects of homeopathy:
- Time: It is a good idea to give yourself plenty of time for your first appointment. Your first consult will take at least 60 minutes so your homeopath can get to know you. It is very likely that you will have to fill in an intake form with your contact details. Possibly there will be a questionnaire about your health and the main reasons for your visit. Taking your case (the interview) is the single most important part of the consult. It can take a while to get through all your symptoms and your health history, so you may as well enjoy it.
- History: Once you are in the consult, it is time for you to tell your story. Homeopaths take into consideration the whole person. That includes all aspects of your life and lifestyle. You will be asked lots of weird and wonderful questions to reveal your peculiarities. Your unique story gives your homeopath the hints and clues to enable them to choose your homeopathic remedy. As there are over 3,000 remedies available, the more information you give your homeopath, the better chance they have at getting it right.
- Symptoms: Homeopaths don’t work with diseases, they work with symptoms. You will be asked to describe your condition or issue in detail. Be prepared to tell your homeopath exactly what type of symptoms you experience, what makes your condition better or worse and how it is affected by heat and cold, time of day, body position, food and drink and anything else you can think of. Your homeopath will want to know when the issue started and what was going on in your life around that time. It all helps to narrow down the medicine selection for your individual treatment plan.
- Family: A big part of what makes you who you are is your family heritage. Your homeopath will want to know the health issues that run in your family. If you can get information about your parents’ and grandparents’ health conditions, that is gold to your practitioner. It gives your homeopath a better chance at putting together the puzzle pieces of your health.
- Other stuff: Are you taking medications, nutritional supplements, natural medicines or Chinese herbs? Whatever you are on, please let your homeopath know. Homeopathy can be prescribed alongside other modalities and it is good practice for your homeopath to take it all into account. If you have any documents that are related to your condition, you might like to bring copies with you. If indicated, a physical examination might be required too.
What next? Armed with the unique picture of your health, your homeopath will now be able to prescribe a treatment. Your homeopathic treatment will support your mental, emotional and physical health. Make sure you understand how to take your remedy. No two prescriptions are alike, even for the same condition. Stay in touch with your homeopath to report any changes in your condition so your prescription can be adjusted.
And don’t forget to breathe! You are not alone. With a homeopath on your side, you are well on your way to recovery. Welcome to well-being.
Tamar Boas BA, Ad.Dip Homeopathy, Dip.Child.Serv., Access Bars® Facilitator and Yoga Instructor (Level one)
Tamar is a qualified and registered homeopath, practicing in Bundaberg, QLD, since 2014.
Tamar completed Advanced Diploma of Homeopathy with Endeavour College of Natural Health and published an article in Similia, The Australian Journal of Homoeopathic Medicine in 2016.
Tamar practices several modalities and enjoys spending her Christmas holidays volunteering at the Woodford Folk Festival Homeopathic clinic.
Visit Tamar’s website at: https://sites.google.com/tamarboas.com.au/tamar-boas/
Or visit Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TamiBHomeopathy/