Cake makes getting over the midweek hump so much easier! This healthy carrot cake will help get you through. Why is this cake better than normal carrot cake? Its gluten free, the almond meal, macadamia oil and walnuts provide healthy oils which are anti-inflammatory and good for the heart and brain, it’s a good source of protein which helps with tissue repair and blood sugar balancing and the organic carrots are high in nutrients such as beta carotene which is good for your immune system and vision. Enjoy!
3 large carrots, finely grated
300g almond meal
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 cup macadamia oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten free)
150ml Natural set whole milk yoghurt (I used Ivyhome)
1/4 easpoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 160. Grease or line cake tin
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine thoroughly
- Pour batter into cake tin and bake for 1.5hours
- Combine yogurt, zest and honey and whisk with electric beaters. Refrigerate
- When cake is cooked allow to cool completely, turn out of tin, then pour yogurt over the top and serve
- Refrigerate any uneaten cake
*I used all organic ingredients to make my cake but if you aren’t able to get everything organic at least try to get organic carrots because they have more nutrients and they are a lot tastier.
About the Author
Laura founded Burton Health in 2012 with clinic locations in Dural and St Leonards, Sydney. She has a keen interest in treating fatigue/burn out, stress, sleep, hormonal imbalances and digestive conditions.
Laura also has her own organic herbal tea range and has a growing range of meal plans available online.