Our family’s all-time favourite snack.
This seeded snack incorporates 4 nutrient-dense seeds. Seeds are generally a good source of many important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are also a good source of protein making this a nice low carb snack. Fibre from these seeds supports our gut function and can help keep us regular.
Flaxseeds are in particular a star ingredient in this recipe as they have a balancing effect on our hormones like oestrogen, helping reduce symptoms of perimenopause and to help modulate unopposed oestrogen associated with heavy and irregular periods.
Flaxseeds are great for our heart health too. They are a rich source of plant-based omega 3 fatty acids considered heart-healthy fat, while their fibre content can help regulate cholesterol levels.
***For a full video of how to make this recipe visit my Facebook or Instagram page ***
- 1 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 1/2 cups Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup Sesame Seeds (You can use a mix of black and white sesame seeds)
- 1/2 cup whole Flax Seeds (linseed)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 1/2 cups of Water
- 100 grams of Fine Polenta
- 2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 200C fan-bake.
- In a medium pot, bring 3 1/2 cups of water to a high simmer. Slowly whisk in the polenta, salt and oil and keep stirring frequently. The polenta is ready when it is creamy and still slightly runny.
- Transfer cooked polenta to a mixing bowl and add all the seeds and combine well.
- Place 1/4 of the formed mixture onto a baking paper, flatten it out a bit and place another sheet of baking paper on the top.
- Using a roller, spread the mixture evenly between the baking paper to about ½ cm thickness.
- Using a ruler, separate the flattened seeds into 4 by 4 cm squares.
- Do the same in batches with the rest of the mixture as soon as possible so that it does not harden.
- Remove top baking paper and bake in the oven at 200C for 20 min and reduce the heat to 160C.
- Break up the squares and turn them upside-down to ensure even baking on both sides.
- Bake for another 10 min or until completely dry and golden.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool and enjoy.
About the Author
Hi, I am Katarina Mitrovic a holistic Nutritionist & Naturopath at INTO Health.
I am also a wife and a mother of two active teens. Having a busy and active family helps me appreciate the challenges my patients face, and motivates me to make a healthy lifestyle, a simple but important part of daily living.
I started my career in the corporate sector, however, got involved with natural medicine through my own health journey. I have learned along the way, that it is necessary to step back and focus on identifying the root cause of the problem to truly resolve a health issue. After years of trying different options, focusing on my gut health and embracing natural medicine enabled me to recover and experience the wellness that gave me the strength to pursue my studies and career in natural medicine.
I am very passionate about supporting others on their health journey and have a special interest in supporting the gut, the seat of our health. I believe that our body is our main asset and by setting some good habits and with a help of natural medicine, we can enjoy health & wellness for years to come.