By Lucy Stewart
A delicious and nourishing nut free snack that’s packed with protein, essentials fats, fibre, vitamins, minerals, and of course, collagen.
We all hear collagen and think anti-wrinkle but collagen works from head to toe in our body to help repair and restore the lining of the gut, support muscle, hair & nail growth and repair, keep joints flexible and bones strong, and as major component of skin, it’s great for postpartum recovery and *may help to fight the signs of ageing *cos we can’t actually tell collagen where to go.
These bars contain collagen powder as well as key nutrients the body needs to make its own collagen. Look for a reputable clean collagen powder from responsibly raised, grass-fed, and preferably Australian or New Zealand cows.
Makes: 18 bars – Prep time: 10-mins – Cool time: 2-hours
– 1 cup sunflower seeds
– 1 cup desiccated coconut
– 1/4 cup grass-fed collagen powder
– 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
– 8 pitted Medjool dates
– ½ tsp turmeric
– ¼ tsp cinnamon
– Zest & juice (50ml) of 1 lemon *preferably unwaxed
– Pinch of sea salt
– Topping: ¼ cup desiccated coconut & ¼ tsp turmeric
- Blitz everything together in a food processor and press (with wet hands) in to a lined 15cm x 25cm baking dish.
- Mix extra coconut & turmeric together and sprinkle over the top.
- Pop in the freezer for at least 2hrs then slice in to 12 bars and store in the fridge or freezer.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR – Lucy Stewart
Lucy is Nutritionist, mum and step-mum, who is passionate about nourishing the next generation – our little people – with delicious wholefoods.
Lucy aims to educate, inspire and empower mums, mums-to-be, parents and careers to make healthier food choices for their kids, right from the start – without spending anymore money shopping or time cooking, than you already do. Cutting through the confusion of what to feed your kids (and how to get them to eat it!) Lucy offers comprehensive research-backed nutritional advice, practical natural solutions to common childhood complaints and easy and delicious recipes that the whole family will love.
For more inspiration and ideas visit, www.lucystewartnutrition.com