These easy and delicious biscuits are a hit with my clients and usually require a double batch because they get gobbled up so quick!
Healthy Oat Biscuits (aka ANZAC biscuits) from Laura Yen at Burton Health.
YOU WILL NEED:
• 1 cup almond meal
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 1 cup desiccated coconut
• ½ cup coconut sugar
• ¼ cup coconut oil
• 2 tablespoons raw honey
• ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
• 1 tablespoon water
• Combine almond meal, coconut, sugar and oats in a bowl.
• In a small saucepan slowly heat and stir the oil and honey until melted.
• Mix the bicarb soda and water in a small bowl, remove saucepan from heat and add the bicarb mixture to the saucepan. The mix will froth.
• Pour the liquid into the bowl of dry ingredients and combine well.
• I rolled mine into 20 cookies but could’ve made 2-3 more if my partner hadn’t been hovering around eating the raw mix!
• Place on a cookie tray or baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake on 150 degrees C for 13-15 minutes or until golden.
• Allow to cool
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS:
I’ve used Almond meal instead of flour to make these cookies a great wheat free option (please note they are not gluten-free due to the oats). It also makes them a fairly good protein snack.
Coconut oil is used instead of butter as it is high in medium chain fatty acids and will not raise blood cholesterol. In fact, it is good for heart health.
Coconut sugar has twice the iron, four times the magnesium and over ten times the zinc of brown sugar. It’s a great low GI alternative to cane sugar.
Honey is used instead of golden syrup. Golden syrup is made in the process of refining sugar cane juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. Honey is made by bees so is naturally a better choice and is full of antioxidants. I’ve used raw honey as its even more antibacterial and healthful!
These cookies are such a great Low GI, healthy oil, protein-full snack and they are very difficult to stop eating!
Laura Yen founded Burton Health in 2012 with clinic locations in Dural and St Leonards, Sydney. She has been practicing as a naturopath since 2009 and has a keen interest in treating fatigue/burn out, stress, hormonal imbalances and digestive conditions.
Laura also has her own organic herbal tea range and has a growing range of meal plans.
Connect with Laura: